Friday, August 20, 2010

I can't even begin to comprehend how I've traveled through time and space over the past 24 hours. Just a montage of neck cramps, standing in lines, and Iron Man II (again and again), peppered with the occasional dining/beverage carts slamming into my knee. All standard fare, I'm assuming. I can distinctly remember writing my first blog in the Pittsburgh airport Thursday morning, and suddenly it's Saturday morning at nearly 4am...and I'm wide awake. Things got significantly better as I met two other ELFs in Chicago and then our party expanded to ten total in Tokyo.

Now we're busy in Singapore taking advantage of a "lounge" that has wifi and showers....ahhh, showers! How is it that sitting still for that many hours makes one feel so nasty? We had reservations set up for our seven hour layover, but they were taken by the time we showed up...selah. Our first "bump."

Ok, let's see, I promised a goal list. I got the idea after reading a blog from a fulbrighter who was in Indonesia last year (thanks to Katie B.!). Seems like a good way to get the most out of and assess the experience

1. Learn bahasa Indonesian - I ran out of time to really focus on this prior to departure, so I'm hoping to get some classes in Jakarta. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to practice ;).
2. Visit the other ELFs' sites - I feel a smidgen of guilt living in the capital city. From what I understand, I'll have most of the comforts of home. I want to visit the other sites to get a feel of the "real" Indo.
3. Find the traditional dancing - I've seen some video (courtesy of Micheal), but I definitely would like to experience the variety. Taking classes would be even better.
4. Find ballroom/salsa/swing dancing - A bonus to living in the capital...there are reports of a Latin scene. I may have to create a swing scene ;).
5. Keep up with running - There are ex-pat running groups and hash teams. I want to get involved as soon as possible just to get into a routine again. Also, running in 90 degree weather and heavy air pollution sounds irresistible.
6. Road bike through the city - Again, Micheal sent a video of someone doing this, and it sounds like a good time (read: terrifying). I've been meaning to get on one anyways so I can eventually do a triathlon. Why not in Jakarta? Might also try to get into diving because it's supposed to be amazing in Indo.
7. Visit the orangutans - 'nuff said. I could add to this Kimono dragons. Also, they should be in their natural habitat.
8. See the world's largest (and stinkiest) flower - who could resist?
9. Visit India - Aarti (an old roommate) lives in southern India, and it would rock my face off to see her.
10. Experience a plethora of Indo food - no questions asked, just eat and report.

That's good enough for now; I'm sure the list will grow. About time to get on the plan for Jakarta, so until then...

5 comments:

  1. Mo-

    Sounds dangerous! I don't like it! :p I'm super excited and envious of all you're going to experience!! Just remember to be careful, Love!! Miss you already!

    -Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog already! Another goal (if I may so impose): Blog often! You are loved and supported by so many people who will want to follow your adventures, and it will be a priceless record for yourself later on in life.

    You are in my prayers, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, I'm so excited about reading your blog and keeping up with all your adventures! Like Annie said though, be careful out there!!

    Also, if there's any way possible that you can somehow smuggle me home a komodo dragon I would be forever grateful. I've been trying to get the one from the Akron Zoo to follow me home for a couple years, but they frown on that. (I'm only half kidding...)

    I also agree with Robyn, blog often! Not just for us, but so you'll always be able to clearly remember all the stuff and maybe someday you'll write a book about your adventures abroad!

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderfully well-rounded goals... I have a feeling you'll work through that list in short order——and have a fabulous time doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey..Not sure if you remember me..but I am the Photographer from Annies Wedding. But your story so far has given me Goose Bumps! I love it..YOU are doing something I would love to do one day. I cant wait to keep up on your blog and see all you have to say. I am not good at writting so I dont keep my blog well. I will be praying for you and I look forward to hearing all about this. You are living it for me.

    ReplyDelete