Thursday, August 19, 2010

Deep Breaths

Dad told me just to take deep breaths. Whoooooosh... It helps.

I'm sitting in the Pittsburgh Airport getting ready to finally embark on this journey that began nearly a year ago. For those of you who don't know, I started teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) two years ago in Akron, OH. I love my job. I can't think of many more rewarding careers. So, when I saw an opportunity open up for professional growth in the field, I jumped at it. Georgetown University and the State Department created a program called the English Language Fellows Program. (Think along the lines of Fullbrighters and Peace Corps). They send English teachers (170+?) to different countries (80+?) around the world (Sorry, I was paying attention during orientation, but I can't remember the exact stats). Anywho...with a little help from some extraordinary people (Martha, Dylanna, Chuck, Dad, Mom...the list goes on), I was selected to go teach in Jakarta, Indonesia (aka the Big Durian). (More about the magical fruit that is durian later....gag). So, here I am with passport in hand. Pitt to Chicago, Chicago to Tokyo (!!! planes should not be in the air this long), Tokyo to Singapore, Singapore to Jakarta.

(Deep breath... Why, yes, this is my first real trip overseas.) I'll be there for 10 months. Annnnd, I'll have the honor of working with the National Police and our Justice Department. I'll be working at a language school (Sebasa) for the Police, teaching English and developing curriculum (thank you Michelle Bush and the Akron PD for giving me a crash course in the US criminal justice system). There are 13 other Fellows (ELFs if you will) going to Indonesia, so I'll be in good company...even if we are spread about this enormous country.

(Exhale....Why, no, I don't speak the language.) Alright, I hope that gives the broad strokes of this experience. More to come. I want to get a goal list on here, but it's just about time to board....maybe in Chicago. Stay-tuned, ya'll. ;)

Whoooooooooosh....

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog name! :) Its gonna be an awesome time! Good luck and safe flights and what not. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you already. Many prayers flying for your trip. I love you, Susie Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only traveled overseas for the first time when I was 26 or 27 (to the Middle East) but that was just for a week... What an amazing year this will be for you and your students!

    ReplyDelete