Saturday, October 16, 2010

Presenting...Paradise!

I had a special treat this week because Julianne, another ELF staying on Java, came to visit me for several days in Jakarta. Along with having a blast dining out at numerous lovely restaurants, she brought me my pictures from Bali!!! So, with out further ado, may I present paradise...

First stop: Nusa Lembongan.

Nusa (island) Lembongan is a small island off mainland Bali. It mostly attracts surfers and divers and doesn't have much of anything else going for your average tourist. I, sadly, am neither a surfer nor a diver, so I didn't do much, but relax, eat, relax while eating, and explore. Just what the doctor ordered after about a month of adjusting to a new country, culture, and job.


Our villa was a quiet little place right on the shore. Despite the cold showers, the staff kept us happy with good food and suggestions for daily adventures.





The narrow streets of the island were lined with intricate Hindu temples. The girls and I fell into the laid back tempo of the locals. We spent our days exploring by foot or petal bike (and one harrowing ride on motorbikes) and photographing anything and everything.


I'm gonna let the photos speak for me - 1,000 words and all that. Take a look at what we saw:

We couldn't get enough of the temple designs, but the beauty continued on the outskirts of the island.

Mt. Agung...the largest volcano in Bali
Seaweed Farms
Watching the waves crash on the rocks at Dream Beach. 
Beware the jelly fish

And, of course...there was snorkeling...
Tony - our fun (and ever patient) snorkel guide

Next stop: Ubud - the cultural center of Bali. I could easily live here. In addition to more amazing temples and food, there were dances, monkeys, 4am hikes up volcanoes, batik classes, and so much more. There are stories to accompany each of these photos, but I don't have the time just now to record them all. I O U?
Our Hotel!!!
Sunrise from the top of the volcano


First stage of Batik making
Ta Da! The final product!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God, did you draw that bird for your batik? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...you are driving a motorcycle in one of these pictures. That means you can drive a motorcycle! Wanna do it again in Toba?

    ReplyDelete