Friday, September 3, 2010

So that's what it feels like...

First off, my apologies for taking so long to update. Between spotty internet access, trips to the immigration office, and beginning my bahasa Indonesia classes, I haven't had much time. A quick update: I've moved out of the hotel and into a temporary apartment until mine is completed. I should (fingers crossed) make my final move this weekend and finally stop living out of a suitcase. I will post pictures of the new place as soon as I can. Here are some pics of central Jakarta from the balcony of my temporary home.




I visited Sebasa, the Police Language School, for the first time on Monday. I was able to address and meet all of the English and non-English teaching staff (the school also offers classes in Mandarin, Japanese, French, Arabic, and Bahasa Indonesia). They are terrific folks, and I look forward to working closely with them all. I will be teaching the police - in particular the special forces this session - and providing teacher training and curriculum development for the English and non-English staff. Here's a pic from my office. On day one, I also had the treat of riding in my first bajai...if you were paying attention, those are the puttering, little orange cars. Here's a video from the inside of one! The lovely lady sitting next to me is Ibu Vero, one of the French teachers.

Now, the really important stuff. The generous staff at Sebasa is allowing my to hold off teaching for a few weeks while I take bahasa Indonesia lessons. I can't tell you how grateful I am for these lessons. Life in Indonesia will be so much easier if I can get about by myself.

The experience of being the one in the immersed in a new language and culture has been both challenging and eye-opening. I want to attempt a little metacognition and record my feelings as I pass through the stages of second language acquisition, if for no other reason than to empathize with my students present and future. There's intimidation - Why are they speaking so fast? (even though I know they're not); frustration - I'm never going to learn this (even though I know I will);  and above all, fear - I want to practice, but I'm sure I'll get it wrong, and they'll just laugh (even though I know they won't). As a language teacher, I can reason through these irrational thoughts, but it doesn't stop them from coming each and every day. The next ten months will be an exercise in facing and coping with these challenges. Then maybe someday I can pass on what I learn. If I can do it...

1 comment:

  1. So encouraged by reading your reactions to the cultural and linguistic adjustment process...you have an optimistic spirit that shines through! I know you will be a better teacher because of your willingness to enter a situation similar to that of your students. Know that I am cheering you on from Minnesota! :) Much love.

    ReplyDelete